Structures - Industrial Placement - 2021 Intake
We are currently looking for an Industrial Placement student to start in August 2021 for 12 months who will join our Structural Engineering department. You will ideally be enrolled on a Mechanical Engineering, Automotive, Aerospace degree or equivalent.
What we are looking for:
• Highly motivated students who are passionate about learning from our industry experts.
• Passion for engineering, innovation and technology.
• Candidates with a wealth of work experience who have gone the extra mile to absorb knowledge and gain experience along the way.
• Some experience of FEA (Finite Element Analysis) would be beneficial, although not essential.
• A good understanding of engineering materials.
• An interest in motorsport.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Practical engineering skills is advantageous but not essential.
• Experience of programming is advantageous but not essential
• Someone who is ready for the challenge! With our placements, you are a fully involved member of the team from day one. Your work counts, you have an impact on our success.
The role would involve:
• Performing structural analysis of metallic and composite F1 car components using both Finite Element Analysis and hand calculation methods
• Optimising existing designs to achieve mass reduction
• Contributing to design reviews, assessing structural viability of proposed new designs
• Observing structural proof tests carried out in the Prototype and Test department, analysing results and using them to improve model correlation
• Writing reports to summarise the analysis that has been used to demonstrate structures are fit for purpose
• Assisting with development of new analysis tools and improving efficiency of existing calculation methods.
What to expect:
Being part of the team from day one, getting involved, the more questions you ask the more you will gain from your experience. Working with highly skilled and experienced engineering professionals, graduates who you can learn and develop with. It is important to know that many of our industrial placements have been successful in obtaining graduate roles on completion of their degree.
Student Placement Application Process:
When shortlisting student placement applications, we look for relevant subjects at University as advised above. Students will have a minimum of two years’ experience at University before the placement starts. With a return to your course for a minimum of one year following completion of the placement.
In addition to the above, we are look for someone who has a true passion for their subject, interests in leisure activities such as go-karting, restoring or working on cars, or building working models of cars and planes are helpful but not essential. We also heavily encourage applicants to let us know of any previous engineering work experience as we celebrate the fact we are an engineering company, this is our passion.
When applying for student placements opportunities, all students are expected to submit a covering letter along with a Curriculum Vitae (this will need to be on the same document) containing the following information:
• Your current career aims and how you plan to achieve them
• Why you chose your degree subject
• Relevant leisure pursuits and activities
• Why work experience with the Company would be beneficial to you
• Demonstrate that you are the best person to be selected
Those students that are shortlisted will be invited to attend an assessment day. Assessment days are scheduled to take place in March at our site in Grove. We will obtain academic references as part of the selection process.
Arrangements for Travel and Accommodation:
It is expected that the student takes sole responsibility for making suitable travel and accommodation arrangements.
Applications for the student placement programmes should be uploaded through our website by visiting www.williamsf1.com. Your application will be acknowledged and we will update you with your progress via email during the process. We will not accept applications which are not submitted through our website, any paper-based applications will be returned to the sender with a copy of our policy. It is also not always possible to give feedback to all applications due to the volume of applications.
Closing date: 12th October
Note: Due to the short-term nature of both work experience placements and student placements we are unable to accept applications from candidates who do not have entitlement to live or work in the United Kingdom.
Please note that we cannot give applicants individual feedback unless they have attended the assessment day Williams.
Please Note: Due to the Volume of applications we receive on a daily basis we cannot guarantee your application will be acknowledged or considered unless you have applied directly via our website williamsf1.com/careers.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIESAPPLY NOW